Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dog Attacks: Reporting

It has been a while since I have posted about a dog attack. Sadly, this does not mean that no attacks have occurred. I doesn't mean that I have received no reports of attacks. I have. But my policy is to post about attacks only if I have had direct contact with one of the parties involved in the attack, or with an eye-witness to an attack. I give this source an opportunity to read my post before it appears on the blog.

I believe this is important, because dog attacks are traumatic events and it is important to get the basic facts right. It is what people who are willing to re-live the trauma by telling their story deserve.

If you are thinking about telling your story about a dog attack, or if you know someone who is considering telling their story, please be assured that every effort will be made to tell the story accurately and to protect your privacy.

In the meantime, I will continue to discuss dogs and dog ownership. Dog attacks do not occur in a vacuum. Sometimes they occur because of an "oops". Dogs in multi-dog households sometimes can have altercations for no apparent reason. But attacks that occur in public spaces are all too often the result of an irresponsible or naive dog owner. Knowing a dog's personality and having a general idea of what a dog's breed was created to do is essential for responsible dog ownership.

No comments:

Post a Comment